August 16, 2018
Cleaning your windows is a task most people don’t look forward to. All that product, time and elbow grease, to have a finished window covered in streaks can be so frustrating. With the end results often disappointing, it is easy for us to consider this chore not rewarding enough to bother with. However it really makes it hard to enjoy the sun shining, and vivid nature outside your home through the grime that builds up. Ideally, windows should be washed at least twice a year. You will enjoy your home and investment in windows vastly more. Clean windows can also benefit your everyday life by letting the sun shine in.
Top Window Cleaning Tips
Here are some great tips to help maintain a gorgeous crisp window you can barley tell is there.Cleaning glass, whether it’s a window or a mirror or a coffee table, is more about the tools than the elbow grease. With the right stuff in your bucket, you can get your glass streak-free.
Use the right window cleaning tools
- Keep all your window cleaning tools in one plastic or metal bucket (and use a second bucket to mix cleaning solutions).
- A flat-weave microfiber cloth – any other cloth will not give you the same results, and remember, it’s your time spent cleaning, so the right tools saves you a lot of that time. You want flat-weave so that no debris can cling to the cloth, and further, they promote fast drying and lint-free finishing.
- Try washing windows with a squeegee and I bet you’ll never go back to a spray bottle and paper towels. Squeegees get your glass clear and streak free in a fraction of the time it takes with paper towels.
- Window scrubber or large sponge.
- 4″ Razor scraper with a fresh blade
- Moule’s Glass Cleaner – We highly recommend it, but you can use your favorite brand or recipe.
Master an efficient window cleaning technique
- Spray Moule’s Glass (or chosen solution) generously on the glass surface.
- Scrub the glass with the window scrubber or sponge. Carefully cleaning the glass all the way to the edges.
- Tip the squeegee to wipe clean a narrow strip all the way around the edge of the glass.
- Starting at the top of the glass move the squeegee horizontally across the top of the glass
- Work your way down the window making overlapping horizontal strokes. Cleaning the wiper between strokes.
- Lastly run the clean microfiber cloth around the edge of the glass to finish the job.
Do you have hard water spots, paint, or stickers on your windows?
Hard water contains magnesium and calcium that leaves small hard white spots on windows. Diluted vinegar and a cloth can do the trick, and get your window looking great. If the spots are really tough to remove, your best option is to use undiluted vinegar. Put vinegar in a spray bottle, then spray a large area of the window and clean until clear.
If you have paint or other gunk on your glass you will want to use a 4″ razor scraper. Be sure to use a fresh blade to avoid scratching the glass and never use a razor tempered glass. Simply apply some Moule’s Glass Cleaning and gently use the razor to clean the surface of the glass.
Don’t forget to Share this on Facebook!
Give some of these tips a try and see if having cleaner windows literally brightens your day.